Mikhail Prokhorov's career has encompassed international banking, finance, natural resource investments and innovations in energy production. In 2006, he was awarded the Order of Friendship (given to Russian citizens for strengthening cooperation between nations and nationalities) for his contribution to the development of Russia's economic potential.
- 1989 - Mikhail Prokhorov graduated magna cum laude from the International Economic Relations Department of the Moscow Financial Institute.
- 1989-1992 - Head of Management Board Department, International Bank for Economic Cooperation.
- 1992-1993 - Chairman of the Board, “International Finance Company”, joint-stock commercial bank.
- Since 1993 - Chairman of the Board, ONEXIM Bank.
- 1998 – 2000 - President and Chairman of the Board, ONEXIM Bank.
- 2000 – 2001 – President, “Rosbank”, joint-stock commercial bank.
- 2001-2007 - General Director and Chairman of the Board, MMC Norilsk Nickel.
- 2004 - Mikhail founded the Cultural Initiatives Charitable Foundation (Mikhail Prokhorov Foundation).
- 2006 - Chairman of the Board, OJSC Polyus Gold.
- 2007 - 2011 President of ONEXIM Group.
- June 2008 to December 2008 - Member of the Board, MMC Norilsk Nickel.
- As of October 2008 - Head of Russia's Union of Biathlonists.
- 2009 - Member of the Board of JSC International Airport Sheremetyevo.
- 2010 - Principal owner of NBA team New Jersey Nets and the shareholder of Barclays Center (the team's arena in Brooklyn).
- 2010 - Chairman of the Board, JSCB IFC Bank.
- Since December 2010 - Chairman of the Board of Soglassye Insurance Company LLC.
- December 2010 - June 2011 CEO of OJSC Polyus Gold.
- June 2011 - Head of political party "Right Cause"